Avengers: Age of Ultron – BluRay Review
It’s been a good three years since Disney and Marvel gave us their magnum opus of super hero films. 2012’s Avengers proved to be both a financial as well as cultural success for all parties involved. It also changed the way movie companies make films, introducing “shared movie universes” to tell stories.
We waited through another four successful films in what was dubbed “Phase Two” of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. All of which helped to build to yet another blockbuster gathering of awesome superheroes in Avengers: Age of Ultron. Today, you can own this summer’s Marvel collab of robots, super soldiers, Asgardians, and more on BluRay, DVD, and Digital Download. I was thrilled to pick this up, not only as a BluRay3D/BluRay/Digital Collectors edition, but also (as a Best Buy exclusive) a fancy Steelbook featuring the baddie Ultron on the back (there’s also a version featuring Vision).
If you haven’t seen the actual film (firstly, you’re either not a big comic book or sci-fi/action fan. secondly… why not?!?) here’s a summary: We start off with the Avengers doing what they do best… assembling… in order to take down what’s presumed to be the last remnants of Hydra (former science arm of the Nazi regime, eventually wormed its way into the inner-workings of S.H.I.E.L.D.) who still have Loki’s scepter from the first Avenger’s movie. The Avengers take down the baddies and retrieve the scepter. But super scientists Tony Stark a/k/a Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.) and Bruce Banner a/k/a The Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) find that there’s a secret formula embedded within the scepter and build Ultron. That’s when chaos ensues.
The movie itself is a 2+ hour joyride through everything Marvel has to offer: action, comedy, sci-fi, suspense, and more. The visuals are stunning, especially for BluRay. Plus, the incredibly super-human cast of actors; Downey, Ruffalo, Chris’ Evans and Hemsworth, Jeremy Renner, Scarlett Johannson, Paul Bettany, Elizabeth Olsen, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Samuel L. Jackson, and James Spader as the menacing Ultron (among a few others, of course) make for a fantastic film.
Like Special Features? Who doesn’t. The BluRay set has some amazing special features that even Tony Stark would love to add to his Iron Man suits. Check out this list:
- From the Inside-Out: The Making of Age of Ultron – A featurette all about the making of the film, featuring the cast and crew as well as detailing the construction of sets, casting, and everything that went into making Age of Ultron what it was.
- The Infinite Six – A featurette that explains the six infinity stones that will eventually lead up to the next Avengers movie, Infinity War.
- Global Adventure – A featurette that describes how they chose the settings for the film. Going to Italy, Korea, and more.
- Deleted Scenes – Scene that were cut from the film (usually for length) because they weren’t that integral to the story. Included is an optional commentary from director Joss Whedon.
- Gag Reel – Just like the first Avengers, some bloopers and gags that went on during shooting of the movie.
- Audio commentary – Optional commentary for the film from director Joss Whedon.
If you love the Marvel movies and comics and want to enjoy more, make sure you grab the BluRay Collectors Edition today!