MAD MEN: Season 5 Blu-Ray Review
The most captivating drama on TV, Mad Men, starring Jon Hamm arrives on Blu-ray Disc, DVD and Digital Download October 16! What was definitely the most divisive season in the show’s run is getting an amazing Blu-Ray release filled with special features and topical featurettes for a deeper look at the real life events that shaped the season.
The men and women of Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce are back with all-new drama inside and outside of the office. From creator Matthew Weiner (HBO’s The Sopranos) and featuring a stellar cast including Jon Hamm (Friends with Kids), Elisabeth Moss (TV’s The West Wing), Christina Hendricks (I Don’t Know How She Does It) and January Jones (X-Men: First Class), Mad Men: Season Five arrives on Blu-ray Disc, DVD and Digital Download on October 16, 2012.
The hit series also stars Vincent Kartheiser (In Time), John Slattery (The Adjustment Bureau), Jessica Paré (Lost and Delirious), and Jared Harris (Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows). The 3-disc Blu-ray and 4-disc DVD are packed with special features, including extensive commentaries and innovative featurettes examining the time period and culture of the Mad Men era. Mad Men: Season Five, which contains all 13 episodes, is available on Blu-ray and on DVD from Amazon.
Even five season’s in, Mad Men is still one of the best television shows on the air – I don’t care with the Emmy’s say! While the symbolism became more overt, the drama was just as intense and the characters just as engaging. The new addition of Megan was a shot of youth and provided a new perspective to the crazy ’60s, and early stage ’70s, trends that are starting to pop in to these characters’ lives.
I would highlight the best and worst episode of the season, but picking a “worst episode” of a season this strong proved difficult. The best episodes were surely “The Other Woman” and “Commissions and Fees”. One showed the supposed value of a woman and how Joan used her only means to get a partnership in the firm and the other showed Lane Pryce at his lowest. Both episodes showcased stellar performances (and were the Emmy submission episodes for their respective stars for good reason) and gripping drama. For a show that was criticized in earlier seasons for moving too slowly, every episode this season seemed to have a stand out moment from “Zou Bissou Bissou” all the way until the finale with that lasting shot of Megan as a fairytale princess and Don walking away.
Season five of Mad Men, four-time Emmy winner for Outstanding Drama Series and winner of three consecutive Gold Globes plunges into the seductive and intriguing world of Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce. Jon Hamm and the rest of the award-winning cast continue to mesmerize as they adapt to changing times and social revolution. Lust is back. Adultery is back. Deception is back. Mad Men is back.
Blu-Ray/DVD Special Features:
- “Mad Men” Say the Darndest Things” – tak e a look at the best one-liners from the series and perhaps you will see your favorite!
- “The Univorm Time Act of 1966” – A pictorial time line explores the history of Daylight Savings Time and its official observance in the United States.
- “What Shall I Love If Not the Enigma?” – A glance into the life and work of metaphysical artist Giorgio de Chirico.
- “The Party of the Century” – a Author Deborah Davis and legendary bandleader Peter Duchin take you inside Truman Capote’s infamous Black & White Masquerade Ball.
- “Scoring Mad Men: Inside a Session” – Join composer David Cabonarra, orchestratorGeoff Stradling and sound engineer Jim hill in the recording studio as they discuss their formula for scoring Mad Men.
- “Newsweek Magazine Digital Gallery” – a selection of Newsweek Magazine covers share the top news stories from around the world in 1966.
- Mad Men Season 5 commentaries – Matthew Weiner and the cast and crew of Mad Men take viewers behind the scenes in feature-length audio commentaries for all 13 episodes.