84th Academy Award Winners List
Tonight’s telecast of The 84th Academy Awards was surprisingly enjoyable! That may in part be due to our fun live viewing party, but the show itself had its share of funny sketches, touching montages, and insightful interviews. Billy Crystal was a safe hosting choice, but he did a good enough job keeping up the pace. They also did a better job this year of pairing up the presenters to have better chemistry and banter. I particularly enjoyed Emma Stone and Ben Stiller‘s presentation. She was just so excited and adorable! The real winner of the presenters though was Chris Rock, who probably made his best case on why he should be given a chance to host something.
Hugo started the night strong, taking awards for Cinematography, Art Direction, Sound Editing and Mixing, to name a few. While they cleaned up the smaller awards, the major awards ended up going to The Artist. While it was favored to win, there were a few surprises throughout the show.
While Meryl Streep is an award staple, all the buzz was around Viola Davis. The Help has been a very divisive with critics and audiences, but she was one thing that seemed to be agreed upon. But in the end, Meryl Streep’s pedigree and consistency was enough to give her the edge with the academy.
Catch the full list of winners below and share your favorite wins in the comments:
1. Cinematography: Hugo
2. Art Direction: Hugo
3. Costume Design: The Artist
4. Makeup: The Iron Lady
5. Foreign Language Film: A Separation, Iran.
6. Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer, The Help
7. Film Editing: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
8. Sound Editing: Hugo
9. Sound Mixing: Hugo
10. Documentary Feature: Undefeated
11. Animated Feature Film: Rango
12. Visual Effects: Hugo
13. Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer, Beginners
14. Original Score: The Artist
15. Original Song: “Man or Muppet” from The Muppets
16. Adapted Screenplay: Alexander Payne, Nat Faxon and Jim Rash, The Descendants
17. Original Screenplay: Woody Allen, Midnight in Paris
18. Live Action Short Film: The Shore
19. Documentary (short subject): Saving Face
20. Animated Short Film: The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore
21. Directing: Michel Hazanavicius, The Artist
22. Actor: Jean Dujardin, The Artist
23. Actress: Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady
24. Picture: The Artist